I finished a project! It took me months and months, but I love it. I love the colors, it’s loaded with my favorite thing — stripes! — and lots of them, the asymmetrical shape means it stays put on my shoulders, and it feels like a cloud.
I even got motivated enough to get a replacement memory card for my camera, and took the first non-cell-phone photo I’ve taken in months. It’s sort of a blurry mess, but I’ll have a chance at a do-over once it’s daytime and I have some natural light.
I named the project for a Gregory Alan Isakov song on the day I finally got to see him in concert last summer, and wove in all the ends on the way to a concert in Sacramento this week to see another band, Typhoon. I’m, uh, motivated about music, you could say.
Just as I decided that what I really needed a hat with earflaps, someone on Ravelry posted a call for test knitters for a hat with earflaps.
Instead of doing the quick braids the pattern called for, I spent almost as long on the i-cord ties with tiny contrast-color stripes as I did on the rest of the hat. It was worth it.
I’m starting to develop a taste for tiny, meticulous finishing details, especially after seeing a bunch of vintage and contemporary sewing projects with incredibly gorgeous (and finicky) stitching and accents. Striped i-cord is kind of a bitch to get right, but man, the results make me happy.
The black vertical stripes are actually cabled owls. They’re kinda hard to see, so I’m considering embroidering French knots on them, because I just learned to make French knots the other day and I’m so excited about it that I want to cover everything I own in French knots. Maybe if I make enough French knots, the embroidery gods will smile on me and fix my wobbly chain stitch!
And maybe the knitting gods will smile on me, too, for spending almost as much time on the embellishments as I spent on the rest of the hat. Anyway, the results are on Ravelry if you’re interested.